Emergency First Aid at Work Course
The Emergency First Aid At Work training course has been designed for any member of an organisation who is likely to find themselves taking charge of, or who has been appointed to take charge of, first aid equipment during a first aid emergency in the absence of a qualified First Aider. This is a one-day course recommended as the minimum level of training for persons in low-risk workplace environments.
The aim of the course is to provide participants with sufficient knowledge and confidence to deal with an accident until a qualified first aider or the emergency services take charge of the situation.
All candidates should be aware that the course is of a practical nature therefore casual clothes should be worn. Female personnel attending are advised to wear trousers.
It is strongly recommended that all first aiders complete a half-day refresher course annually
On completion of the Emergency First Aid course candidates will understand: -
- Principles of first aid.
- The action to be taken in the event of an emergency.
- The correct method of basic life support
- Typical major injuries and the action to be taken to preserve life
The Emergency First Aid course will include sessions on:
- Aims and principles of first aid
- What to do in an emergency
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Management of the unconscious casualty
- Assessment and treatment of a casualty who is wounded or bleeding
- Assessment and treatment of fractures, dislocations and soft tissue injuries
- Assessment and treatment of burns and scalds
- Assessment and treatment of miscellaneous medical conditions
- Dealing with seizures
- Responding to an overdose
Certification of the Emergency First Aid Course is dependent on successful continuous assessment of the student. Assessment will be carried out through observation along with some written exercises. Whilst the written elements are straightforward, candidates require a basic command of English. Students who complete the course and are deemed to have reached the required standard are issued with a certificate which is valid for three years.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Any member of an organisation who is likely to find themselves taking charge of first aid during a first aid emergency.
First Aid at Work 3 Day Course