First Aid at Work Course
The First Aid at Work (FAW) training course covers the practical skills needed by a first aider in the modern workplace and will give candidates the confidence and knowledge to deal with first aid emergencies.
Where an employer has identified a need for a fully qualified First Aider, a person should be nominated for training in accordance with HSE guidance and legal obligations.
Potential First Aiders should:
- Possess an aptitude to absorb knowledge & skills
- Be able to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures
- Have duties that do not prevent them going immediately to an emergency
The first aid at work (FAW) course involves at least 18 hours of training and is run over three days.
At the end of the First Aid at Work course candidates will be able to:
- Assess and prioritise a first aid incident
- Deal with an unconscious casualty
- Carry out resuscitation (CPR)
- Control bleeding and manage shock
- Deal with injuries to bones, muscles and joints
- Deal with a casualty suffering burns and scalds
- Manage eye injuries
- Deal with casualties overcome by fumes or suffering from poisoning
- Deal with a broad range of common injuries and illnesses until the arrival of medical care
- Maintain first aid records
- Use and maintain first aid kits
- AED (Use of a AED, chain of survival, safety considerations)
The First Aid at Work course will cover the following topics: -
- First Aid Priorities
- Managing Incidents
- Basic Life Support
- Examination of a Casualty
- Control of Bleeding
- Burns and Scalds
- Common Illnesses
- Chest Pains including Heart Attacks & Angina
- Eye Injuries
- Head injuries
- Seizures (Adults)
- Fainting/Feeling Faint
- Low Blood Sugar/Diabetic Emergencies
- Allergic reaction
- Spinal injuries
- Recording and Reporting
- Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations
- First Aid Kits
Delegates will be assessed via continuous trainer observation and written assessments.
On successful completion of the course and assessments, the delegate will receive their First Aid at Work Certificate. This is valid for three years.
The HSE strongly recommends that all first aiders complete a half-day refresher course annually.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Nominated workplace first aiders, or anyone wanting a comprehensive introduction to first aid.
Under the current HSE guidelines it is "strongly recommended" that first-aiders undertake an annual half day refresher course and a full re-qualification by the 3 year expiry.