SMSTS Refresher - CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme
- 10 Dec 12 - 11 Dec 12
- 09:00 - 17:00
- 2 days
- Delivery Schedule:
- Manchester, UK
- Course Agenda
- Who Should Attend?
- Other Dates
The 2 day CITB SMSTS Refresher Training course is designed for candidates who have already passed the SMSTS course. All SMSTS certificates issued after 1st January 2005 are valid for 5 years from the date of issue. Candidates will be required to show their original 5 day certificate and if known provide details of where and when they took the course. Delegates MUST attend both days in order to obtain their certification..
By attending the SMSTS refresher course delegates will be updated on developments in construction legislation and use of appropriate best practice. The course will also enhance existing managerial skills necessary to achieve compliance with any new legal duties and responsibilities placed on them and their workforce.
At the end of the SMSTS Refresher course successful candidates will be able to: -
- Manage health and safety on site in accordance with current legal provisions, and within the context of their management and supervisory role
- Understand their legal, moral and social obligations to maintain a healthy and safe site, as well as consider the benefits and costs of implementation to their organisation
- Identify and avoid potential hazards on site
- Prepare method statements, risk assessments and other statutory requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act
The SMSTS Refresher course will cover the following topics: -
- Legislation, ACOP updates with discussions on impact and practical aspects of compliance
- Overview of proposed/impending legislation
- Accident statistics, costs, causes, management responsibilities/methods in prevention
- HSE's current focus on construction activities
- Safety management systems, policies, plans and performance measuring
- Management of Contractors
- Communication and consultation aspects, effective use of 'toolbox talks' and 'site inductions'
- Behavioural science including awareness of human error, stress and prevention
- Syndicate exercises
Anyone who has attended the five-day Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) Course since 01 January 2001, and whose certificate is due to expire (5 years).
Throughout the course delegates will be assessed. At the end of the CITB SMSTS course, each individual has to pass an examination and present a suitable health and safety solution to a site activity which qualifies them for the Construction Site Managers Safety Certificate.
Delegates must attend both of the days, in accordance with the course programme, to achieve the necessary learning objectives to qualify for re-certification. Successful candidates will be issued with the CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) certificate which is valid for 5 years.
Manchester (View Map)The Villa
Astley Hall Drive, Astley
- Free on-site parking
Travelling from Manchester:
Exit at junction 13 of the M60 , take the first left off the roundabout onto Leigh Road, follow Leigh Road through Boothstown until you reach a set of traffic lights at the junction of the A580 (East Lancashire road), turn left onto the A580 and carry on until you pass Little Chef Restaurant on the left hand side. Enter the right hand lane and at the of traffic lights, turn right onto Higher Green Lane. Go to the end and turn left (marked as left turn only) onto Manchester Road. Follow the road until you reach a small roundabout (the Bulls Head is on the right), turn right at the roundabout onto Church Road and take your first left onto Astley Hall Drive.
Travelling From Liverpool:
Following the A580 towards Manchester you will reach the Junction for Tyldesley, the Rendezvous Restaurant is on your right hand side, turn left onto Higher Green Lane, straight to the top, left turn only onto Manchester Road, follow until you reach a small roundabout (the Bulls Head is on the right), turn right at the roundabout onto Church Road and take your first left onto Astley Hall Drive.
Travelling From Bolton:
Follow the A6 towards Swinton turn right onto Armitage Avenue. Half way down it changes its name to Peel Lane . Follow Peel Lane to the mini roundabout and under the railway bridge and continue to the end of the road at which point it once again changes its' name and becomes Mort Lane. You will see another mini roundabout, turn right onto Sale Lane heading toward Tyldesley until you reach a set of traffic lights. Turn left onto Hough Lane and follow straight to the bottom (guess what, its changes its name half way to Henfold Road). The road then goes uphill and then dowbhill until at the bottom you reach a small roundabout. Before you reach the roundabout you need to turn right onto Astley Hall Drive.